When the panic starts to feel overwhelming, try the following five tips to help manage anxiety, and feel free to share if you like:
1. Try to refocus your attention on the things that you CAN control rather than on those that you cannot. This strategy may help you to put everything more into perspective and redirect your energy to a more manageable space.
2. Try taking a long, deep inhale, followed by a long and controlled exhale. Controlled breathing exercises can help your body’s “alert” signals decrease, with the added benefit that your brain will get the message too. It sounds simple, but trust us! It’s science, not fluff!
3. Make mental (or actual) notes of coping strategies that have worked for you in the past and try them out when you feel yourself starting to become anxious. You may find that by doing this, you can distract yourself from what is making you anxious, while also working towards finding a solution to help decrease your anxiety.
4. Reach out to your support system and don’t be afraid to get what you need. Sometime soon, you will be the one providing support to someone else who needs it.
5. Finally, remind yourself that you have been able to get through anxious moments before and that you will be able to get through this one too!
Managing so many areas of our lives can result in having to deal with a lot of anxiety, find what works for you, and reach out for help, you can do this!
Along with these five tips to help manage anxiety, check out our post on the benefits of mindfulness and meditation.